Generate PluginsShow Instructions for Creating a Search Plugin +
When creating search plugins remember:
- Search the list first to see if the plugin, you wish to create, already exists.
- If a search plugin already exists but it doesn't search the part of the website you wish to search then create a new plugin but indicate the difference in the title of the plugin.
- If you are a registered user you can create a private plugin which won't be added to the public list, so it doesn't matter if the same plugin is already listed.
- A POST search is only compatible with Firefox2.
- Firefox2 users should only use Search Results Format 'HTML' (see this bug).
Creating a search plugin:
- If you wish to create a POST search plugin then get the frmget bookmarklet
- Go to the website you wish to create a search plugin for
- For a POST search plugin then click on the frmget bookmarklet before searching
- Type into the website's search box TEST (capitals essential)
- Perform the search on the website
- Copy the search result URL and paste it into the form below
- Type in a title, pick the method the search should use (GET or POST)
- NB: If you are creating a search plugin with an affiliate link in it please indicate so by including either the affiliate id or your website URL to indicate the search plugin includes an affliate link
- If you wish to use OpenSearch suggestions for your plugin then you can add the suggestion URL as well, using the word TEST where the search query would go.
- Type in some tags (max. characters 50), separated by spaces, to make it easier to search for the plugin. For more on tags see the FAQ (required for registered users only)
- Pick the Search Result Format (HTML,RSS (IE7 only) or Atom (IE7 only))
- Type in the Input Encoding, (if unsure then leave as UTF-8), and indicate whether the search results are for an adult site.
- Choose 'Website Favicon (auto detect)', if you wish for the generator to try and find default website icon, or 'Website Favicon (manual)' if you know the URL of the web site's favicon, or 'Upload Image', if you want to use your own image, for the search plugin. For finding the website favicon have at look at the instructions here
- Click 'Create Plugin'